Author Topic: best genealogy software to use - reunion in Royale Center IN.  (Read 7787 times)

RichardGoodrich

• View Profile
best genealogy software to use - reunion in Royale Center IN.
« on: December 18, 2006, 13:55:30 PM »
Howdy,

From Cash, Texas.   I was a member in the 80s of GFA and conversed a bit with Mr. George Farrell.  We have ALMOST the same birthday!  I was born 17 Nov 1952 and he was born 17 Nov 1925.   Just a few years different!   I have NOT dug out my information in some time.   But, every now and then there is a Goodrich Family Reunion in Royal Centre Indiiana where the founder of that town Highland Ebenezer Goodrich is buried.  My dad, Edgar Richard Goodrich was born there.  My records are a mess and I would like some day to convert it all to "soft copy"  but am intimidated by the task!   George Farrell helped me make the connection to my immigrant ancestor to America and I will provide details later...

SO does the new GFA have a recommended genelogical software program for documenting ones records?   I had bought someything and it kept getting oboslete and needing updates and finally gave up on the whole mess!  And any other ideas for storing paper material in electronic format other than the obvious thing of scanning the material in as some form of graphic format - JPEG, etc.. 

MikeyG1965

• View Profile
Re: best genealogy software to use - reunion in Royale Center IN.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 08:49:40 AM »
Hi Richard,

I've been using Legacy for a few years now and haven't had too many problems.  I must admit it is a little advanced and I haven't used a great deal of the features.

For starting out, a lot of folks use PAF that is put out by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  It is free and the updates are free.

Best of luck in your search!

Mike Goodrich
Godley, Texas

RichardGoodrich

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 09:05:35 AM »
Mike,

Thanks for the heads-up on software.  I was using something - but let it drop some years ago.  I will look into it.   

Richard Goodrich

Matt_G

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Goodrich Family Association
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 09:16:57 AM »
Hi Richard,
Thanks for joining us!  :goodjob:

To answer your question, no the GFA doesn't recommend any one program over another.
I use TMG personally, and that is what I have loaded the associations data into. (The Master Genealogist)
I certainly can not recommend TMG for everyone, because it does everything and is fully customizable. As such, the learning curve on it is pretty darn steep.  :lol:
I would recommend you do 2 things.

1) Check out some reviews of genealogy software. You can find a decent review here. genealogy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/?ttreng=1&ttrkey=genealogy+software+review

2) Many vendors have demo versions of their software. Give some them a test drive before committing any money.
I have heard good things about RootsMagic and Legacy (as Mike also said), and of course I love TMG but that one is not for everyone.
You can find RootsMagic here: www.rootsmagic.com/

Legacy is here: www.legacyfamilytree.com/

TMG is here: www.whollygenes.com

All 3 of these have trial versions. I am sure other vendors do as well.

Nice to have you aboard. :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 09:14:27 AM by Matt_G »
Matt
Database Compiler and Webmaster
www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org

RichardGoodrich

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 15:14:05 PM »
Hi,

I am an electronics engineer, but an aging one - 54.  I do OK with computers, but NOT as easily as those younger probably!   So far I like what I have read about Legacy and it seemed to be rated overall as the Best Deal - whatever that means.  I don't need another piece of "difficult" software!

I had Family Tree Maker at one time, but can't find it and it is probably outdated.  So I will most likely buy Legacy.  I want something easy to use, but powerful enough to not only enter the basic family tree and family group record, but something that I can store and correlate historical notes and so forth.  So I will probably buy Legacy soon.

My problem is I tend to be an ALL or NOTHING personality and at one time in the 80s I let genealogical research consume TOO much of my time!   I hope I can reconsider it but in moderation!

Richard Goodrich

Matt_G

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Goodrich Family Association
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 17:04:09 PM »
I'm sure you will be happy with Legacy Richard.  :)
Matt
Database Compiler and Webmaster
www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org