Author Topic: Goodrich Family Reunion in Royal Centre - descendants of Hiland Ebenezer Goodric  (Read 7060 times)

RichardGoodrich

• View Profile
I just rejoined the GFA.  I had originally joined back in 1982 - I was member #156.    George Farrell and I "hit it off" right away since we had so many common interests - even sharing the same birthday except for the year and even there just two digits were transposed.  We are 8th cousins  (same generation - even though he is 27 years older!)

George    17 Nov 1925
Richard    17 Nov 1952

I was very saddened to hear of his death.

Anyway, I had a few questions and was NOT sure who to address them to?

I know George Farrell and had a wealth of information - family groups records, and so forth - probably many filing cabinets full of inforamtion.  I wondered who was the keeper of that information and how that information will ultimately be made available.

I know I sent him information on some of the Ohio Goodrich's  (Benezer Goodrich - later called Ebenezer).  One of his son's (7th I think?)  - Hiland Ebenzer Goodrich was one of the original founders of Royal Centre, Indiana  (where my dad was born).

My male Goodrich lineage went somthing like:

Ensign William
John
John
John

Ebenezer                      (Delaware County, Ohio - an early Justice of the Peace - and interesting stories about him!)
Hiland Ebensezer          (One of the founders of Royal Centre,  Cass County, IN)
Hiram Edgar
Joseph Jason

Edgar Richard, Sr.
Edgar Richard, Jr  (me)

How should I submit the information I have - and what genealogy software is preferred by the organization.  I was hoping there was a standard that could be maintained for a few years as no ones to enter ALL that information more than once!

I thought it would be good to get all those Goodrich Gospels into electronic format.  I have some of them and would be willing to enter some of them - with advice on which format would be preferably, etc.  I also have his letters to me if that would be of interest?

I wish I had bought a lot more of the older gospels, family group records and so forth from him before we lost contact!

BTW,  there is a Goodrich Family Reunion every few years for the ancestors of  Hiland Ebenezer Goodrich in Royal Centre if anyone is interested?

Advice?

Matt_G

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Goodrich Family Association
I know George Farrell and had a wealth of information - family groups records, and so forth - probably many filing cabinets full of inforamtion.  I wondered who was the keeper of that information and how that information will ultimately be made available.

George had a tremendous amount of data. Our Association genealogist Delores has most of it. George's son Mark sent it to Delores per George's wishes. When it was delivered, it was 2 PALLETS of boxes.  :eek:
The first of this month I actually drove out to Delores's house in Southern California (I live in Colorado) to look at the "Farrell Collection". The amount of data he had is mind boggling. Making this data available is my highest priority. I am working on a plan to get it digitized and on the web. I brought back 36 three-ring binders of Family Group Sheets from Delores's and will start inputting that into the database hopefully this week. Needless to say, all this work is a long term project. I will be making a members only website where much of the data George had will be made available. However a good sized portion of it will be made available on the public site as well. I am still in the planning stages on that.

I know I sent him information on some of the Ohio Goodrich's  (Benezer Goodrich - later called Ebenezer).  One of his son's (7th I think?)  - Hiland Ebenzer Goodrich was one of the original founders of Royal Centre, Indiana  (where my dad was born).

I'm sure the info you sent him is in there somewhere!  :crazyeye:

How should I submit the information I have - and what genealogy software is preferred by the organization.  I was hoping there was a standard that could be maintained for a few years as no ones to enter ALL that information more than once!

I use TMG for the GFA files and my own research as well. I certainly do not expect anyone to use this software just because that is what the GFA uses.
See my response to your other post on this subject.
As far as submitting data, feel free to e-mail anything you wish to share to me. No matter what was done I would still basically be entering it all again Richard, so the software you choose to use doesn't matter. :)
I am the only person who does the data entry for the GFA's files. It's the only way to keep everything consistent without having version control problems, and more importantly, this ensures everything is properly sourced using Mills standards.
What can I say, I'm picky!  ;)

I thought it would be good to get all those Goodrich Gospels into electronic format.  I have some of them and would be willing to enter some of them - with advice on which format would be preferably, etc.  I also have his letters to me if that would be of interest?

Great minds think alike.  :lol:
This is very high on my to do list as well. I believe Delores has copies of all the old gospel's as well, but just in case, I will point her to this thread and have her correspond with you.

Regards,
Matt Goodrich

Matt
Database Compiler and Webmaster
www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org

deloresgfa55

• GFA Trustee
    • View Profile
Hello Richard,

Welcome to our growing Goodrich community.  I checked my files and found that we do have some information you had sent to George.  But I feel certain you must have added more to your records since then.  Matt and I  would really appreciate it if you would send along your updated family information and sources.  We want to make our web site files the Standard for Goodrich information.

I do have a complete set of George's old Gospels.  Matt and I are working at present on updating the existing web files and organizing the enormous amount of material in George's files, so we have not yet determined what way we want to go with archived Gospels. Thank you for your offer of assistance.  You can be certain that we will take you up on your kind offer of assistance if we need the old Gospels typed.

Tell me more about the reunions?  When was the last one?  When is the next?

Regards,
Delores Goodrick Beggs   
gfagenealogy@yahoo.com

RichardGoodrich

• View Profile
Hi,

Thanks for your response.   I really have NOT done that much work since the 80s when I was corresponding with George Farrell.   I think I had bought Family Tree Maker at one time and even updated it once.  Most of my information is in paper format.   Some of the Ohio Historical records I have are in paper format.  Would you want me to run paper copies and send you some of that stuf.

I am trying to find my Family Tree Maker software and then see if I want to stick with it - don't know how out of date it might be - or buy something else - they alll look affordable to me - lost of good stuff for under $40.

NOT sure if it a good idea to try typing some of these old historical records or simply scan them into JPEGs.  Any ideas?   It has been SO LONG since I messed much with any genealogy and everything is a mess and disorganized.  I would like to start putting it together.  If it is OK, I might try sending some of it in installments ...  again I need to know if paper copies are OK - might be quicker for me at this point to do it that way...  long term I want to get everthing in electronic format.

Being an electronics engineer I tend to do better with electronic copy and storage ...

E.U. Later

Richard Goodrich

RichardGoodrich

• View Profile
Delores,

As to the Goodrich Family Reunion in Royal Centre (Cass County) Indiana:  I think these occur about every 4 years.  I just got notice by Snail Mail about a new coordinator of it. (from Jim Goodrich)  All I have is their Snail Mail address.  So I will write them and find out when the next one is and if there is an EMAIL contact for the organizer and pass that information on to you when I get it.  I have ONLY been once and am thinking about going again.   Hiland Ebenezer Goodrich - son of a Benezer Goodrich from Ohio - is the man who helped cofound the town.

There is a section known as the Goodrich Edition and Jim Goodrich a cousin once removed - my dad's cousin - lives near the Intersection of Goodrich and William streets.  William was the first name of his dad.  I think he is the oldest remaining Goodrich relative in Royal Centre?    In his early 80s.

Richard Goodrich

deloresgfa55

• GFA Trustee
    • View Profile
Hello Richard,

In answer to both of your above posts:

Family Treemaker, like all of the programs, has updated versions over the years.  Your version of the program may no longer be compatible with other programs.  However I might be better able to advise you once I have seen your information.

Thanks for your responses.  Let's put your genealogy together.

I am fine with you sending along paper copies of your information.  Folks often do send paper copies to me.  Would you please send me an e-mail at: gfagenealogy@yahoo.com and I will reply you with my postal mail address off-line.  I do not want to post my home address online.

The reunion still sounds intriguing.  I would like to know more detail as well as the next date.  If you could get for me an e-mail address, that would be great.  Otherwise, I would appreciate it if you would send me the postal mail address information offline, again to gfagenealogy@yahoo.com

I will be watching for your e-mail.

Regards,
Delores

Delores Goodrick Beggs
Genealogist and Historian, Goodrich Family Association
gfagenealogy@yahoo.com