Author Topic: Timothy, Bingham, Cutler, and Iola Goodrich  (Read 7386 times)

bach

• View Profile
Timothy, Bingham, Cutler, and Iola Goodrich
« on: December 09, 2010, 10:49:15 AM »
Hello,

I am building my family tree, and would like to inquire here about any connections between the Goodrich's in my family and those listed at this site.

The records passed down in my family are as follows:

-------------------

My great-great grandmother was Iola C. Goodrich, (B. March 14, 1867, D. 1949) Athens Co. Ohio.  Married. 1885 to Joe Martin (B. 1863)

Iola's father was Cutler Wilkins Goodrich (B. Sept 11, 1841, D. Apr. 17 1933) Athens Co. Ohio.  Married 1866 to Nancy Clark (B. 1844 D. 1874)

Cutler's father was Bingham Goodrich (B. Feb 28 1815, D. Apr 2 1902) Athens Co. Ohio. Married 1835 to Elizabeth Griffith (B. 1816, D. 1894)

Bingham's father was Timothy Goodrich (B. Apr. 5 1784, D. Dec. 7 1865) Litchfield Co. Conn.  Married 1806 to Candace Bingham (B. 1789 D. 1830)

----------------

That is as far is my records go.  I did some Google searches, and came across two sites that cite Timothy Goodrich as the son of Timothy Goodrich (B. 1757 (Woodbury, CT.) D. Feb 17 1829 (Fair Haven, VT)) and his wife Keziah Hines (B. 1760, D. Oct 10 1803)

This Timothy Goodrich Sr. is then listed on these sites as the son of Waitstill Goodrich (b. 9 Jun 1729 Woodbury, CT) and wife Mercy (Mary) Hooker (married 5 Jun 1755) as listed on this site.  Both sites link up my information, with the information on this site.

These are the two websites:
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/v/i/n/Everett-R-Vincent/ODT2-0001.html
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vangogh/d0001/g0000048.html#I5142

----------------

The problem is, I can't seem to find any solid documentation or proof linking these up, and am wondering if anyone can help confirm my findings.    Thank you!

John in Wisconsin

deloresgfa55

• GFA Trustee
    • View Profile
Re: Timothy, Bingham, Cutler, and Iola Goodrich
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 19:31:18 PM »
Hello,
You can find references to most of these folks with additional information at https://beta.familysearch.org/.

The Goodrich Family Association also shows records on pages 374-375 of History of Fair Haven, Vermont  by Andrew N. Adams, 1870, and on pages 120 - 123 of A History and Genealogical Record of the Alling - Allens  of New Haven, Connecticut, compiled by George P. Allen, 1899.  I suggest you search any additional Histories of Fair Haven, Vermont for further information to put it all together.

Regards,
Delores
gfagenealogy@yahoo.com

bach

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 16:33:55 PM »
Thank you for recommending those books.  I found them both on Google Books.  

On page 42 of "A History of the Town of Fair Haven...", it references Timothy Goodrich, "He appears to be a son of Waitstill Goodrich of Woodbury, Conn." On page 374 it lists his wife as Keziah Hines, and one of his children as Timothy Goodrich, who "Died in southern Ohio".  My own records show the Timothy Goodrich in my family as passing away in Athens Co., Ohio, which is indeed in the southern part of the state.  The other book mentions Timothy and Keziah as well.

So the links seem to be there, but all circumstantial.  I'm new to researching genealogy, and I don't know if I would call this a "strong match" or not.  I am curious whether you would think this is a good match, or if I need to find more, like solid birth records with dates?  Did the line end with Waitstill on your site because of lack of information to connect him with Timothy Goodrich and wife Keziah Hines?

Thank you again!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 16:50:28 PM by bach »

deloresgfa55

• GFA Trustee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 19:43:22 PM »
Hello,
I would call it a point to yet be investigated further. There is still a lot of information to be collected out there, and a number of Timothys.

As a matter of fact, I would call the 1860 United States Census for Bingham Goodrich, Waterloo, Athens, Ohio firm evidence to cite for three branches of your family, as Bingham, age 46, his son Cutler, age 18, and his father Timothy, age 76, b. Conn., are all listed on this census, living together (along with 7 additional brothers and sisters of Cutler.)

Regarding proofs, you can go to a local LDS Family History group and order (for a small fee) films of early day town vital records to view and copy the matching Goodrich records for putting your lineage together, as your proofs. They can assist you to select the films that include your areas of interest (Fair Haven Vt., Athens, Ohio, etc; many of these records include lists of family members, birthdates, some death dates,etc.

Here is another record you may have seen or not, a Biography of Dr. Cutler W. Goodrich, M. D. and a smaller one of "Timothy Goodrich, grandfather of the doctor."
http://genealogytrails.com/kan/sedgwick/bios 16.html

Regards, Delores

bach

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 21:24:42 PM »
Your help has been a good starting point.  I'll see what I can find and come back if I find results, or if I have more questions.

Thank you again, what a great site you have here.  I wish more branches of my family had message boards I could post questions to! 

Take care,

John

bach

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
Well, since making this thread, I have done a good deal of research, and while I haven't come across any direct records, Timothy Goodrich is again mentioned in "The Bulkeley Genealogy" by Donald Lines Jacobus. 

Here is another record you may have seen or not, a Biography of Dr. Cutler W. Goodrich, M. D. and a smaller one of "Timothy Goodrich, grandfather of the doctor."
http://genealogytrails.com/kan/sedgwick/bios 16.html

I looked into that and am very skeptical of its accuracy.  It says Timothy Goodrich was a "native of Litchfield County, Massachusetts."  I checked the original book it was copied from, and it says the same thing.  Problem is, there is no such thing as Litchfield County, Massachusetts.  It is in Connecticut. Furthermore, it correctly states that he was reared in Vermont, but then says, "He was one of five brothers who came from England and landed at Cape Cod", which makes absolutely no sense.  How could he be reared in Vermont and come from England at the same time?  If he came from England with five brothers, surely such a journey would have been made in adulthood.  Furthermore, he had three brothers and one sister.  Also, the 1860 US census cites his birthplace as Connecticut.

From my research, Donald Lines Jacobus seems like a very well renown genealogist, so I will go with his data.  Although, to differentiate from my last post, Jacobus cites Timothy Goodrich, husband of Keziah Hines, as the son of Timothy Goodrich and Catherine Ashley.  The LDS family centers have the same information linking the Timothy Goodrich in my family back to Timothy Goodrich and Keziah Hines, and eventually back to Benjamin Goodrich and Grace Kilbourn.  I'm not sure if I will ever have any definitive proof, as the records from those early colonial days are sparse.

But thanks again for your help back in December, it was a great starting point!