Author Topic: DNA Connection Success!  (Read 5073 times)

deloresgfa55

• GFA Trustee
    • View Profile
DNA Connection Success!
« on: April 23, 2008, 20:29:15 PM »
Our Goodrich Surname DNA Project has grown to 30 participants, including 3 mtDNA.

We are thrilled to discover Y-DNA67 test results for 2 Thomas Goodrich, b. 1614, of Virginia, descendants are a match for the main
Ens. William Goodrich of Wethersfield group!

Contact gfagenealogy@yahoo.com with DNA questions.

LWCATES

• View Profile
Re:Thomas Goodrich--potential links
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 17:33:51 PM »
Over the years, there has been a lengthy dialogue about the family of origin of Lt. Col. Thomas Goodrich of Rappahannock in Virginia.  Up until now, the focus has been on the Goodrick family of Ribston in Yorkshire, but it would appear, due to DNA test results that include a descendant or two of Thomas (follow this link:  ),  that he matches up with the Goodriches of western Suffolk, including individuals who settled in Connecticut and originated in Hessett (or Hegessett) in that shire.  Oh, the marvels of DNA!  Thomas gave us testimony of his age, suggesting in a Lower Norfolk County deposition that he was born about 1614 or 1615.  According to christenings recorded in the IGI, there are two Thomas Goodriches in Suffolk who might fit this bill [of course, not a comprehensive source].  Both hold some promise and both lived within a few miles of the Hessett Goodriches.

ONE is the family of Thomas Goodrich in the parish of Lavenham.  He had a son Thomas (chr. 1 May 1615).  He had other children christened named Mary (chr. 1634, d. 1636), William (chr.  1623; d. 1627), John (chr. 1617), Abram (chr. 1631) and Joseph (chr. 1628).  Other men christening children in the town included John and Robert at this period.  Thomas would obviously have been one of the older children, perhaps the oldest.

ANOTHER is the family of John Goodrich, feltmaker and Alderman of the town of Bury St. Edmunds.  His will and list of children follow.

PCC 11/148
In the name of God Amen the Thirtieth daie of June in the first yeare of the Raigne of our most gracious Soveraigne Lord Charles by the grace of God King of England Scotland Ffrance and Ireland defender of the faith I John Goodrich Alderman of the Burgh of Bury St. Edmund in  the County of Suff[olk] and within the dioces of Norwich being at this tyme visited with some infirmity of body but of good and perfect remembrance (Thanked bee  god) considering the uncertainty & frailty of mans life in this world and being desirous to establish and leave behind mee whensoever it shall please god to take me out of this life some certaine order touching the disposition of those lands and tenements goods and chattles and rights whereof it hath pleased the Lord to make mee Steward in this world I doe therefore make and declare this my last will and Testament in writing thereby Revokeing all other wills and Testaments by mee heretofore made and doe prounounce this to bee my very true last will and Testament as followeth Ffirst and above all things I commend my Soule into the hands of allmightie god and to Jesus Christ my Redeemer assuredly trusting that by his death and passion I shalbe saved and have remission of all my sinnes  my body I comitt to the earth to bee bestowed in christian buriall as shall seeme fitting to my Executors  And I doe make & ordaine my sonne John Goodrich to bee the sole Executor of this my last will and Testament   Item I give and bequeath unto Martha my welbeloved wife my messuage or Tenement with  [the appurtenances?] now int he occupation of one Robt Bradly or of his assignes scituate and being in the Streete called the hatters streete in Bury aforesaid TO hold to the said Martha and her assignes for terme of her natural life and after her decease I give the said messuage or tenement wth the appurtenances unto the said John Goodrich my sonne and to his heires and assignes forever  Item I give and bequeath unto the said Martha my wife All my houses lands and Tenements with theire apptences Situate & being within the Towne of Ipswich in the said County of Suffolk and my meadowes in Bury aforesaid which I purchased of John Bull and Margaret his wife To hold to the said Martha my wife & to her heires and assignes forever  Item I give and bequeath unto the said Martha my wife All my household plate Brasse Pewter furniture and implements of houshold except such things hereunder mentoned as I shall give and bequeath unto the said John Goodrich my Sonne.  All such houses meadowes and goods I give unto the said Martha my wife as aforesaid upon condition that after my decease she shall upon resonable requeast and at the onely [?] and charges  of the said John my Sonne release unto the said John Goodrich my SOnne and to his heires and assignes all her dower right & tytle of dower of in and to the messuage & Tenement wherein I now dwell with the appurtenances in Bury St. Edmund aforesaid   And I give and bequeath unto the said John Goodrich my SOnne and to his heires forever my land messuage and tenement wherein I now dwell wth Thappurtenins and all my Brasse and Coppers hanging in my said messuage or tenement and uses [?] for feltmakeing and all my basons bowlls tooles and instruments belonging or used to my Trade of feltmaking and all my bedding wherein my Servants and workemen using feltmakeing doe usually lye   Item I give and bequeath unto my Sonne Benjamin one hundred pounds of lawfull English money wch hundred pounds or Soe much thereof as shall not be payd unto him by myselfe in my lifetyme I will shall be payd unto the said Benjamin by my said Executors wthin five months next  after my decease   Item I give and bequeath unto Ffrancis Goodrich my sonne one hundred pounds of lawfull English money to bee payd unto him by my said Secutor at his  age of fower and Twenty yeares if he shall live soe longe   And I will and my mind is that my said Exeutor and his Executors and assignes shall yearly and every yeare after my decease paye unto the said Francis my Sonne for the use and profitt of the said hundred pounds the yearely some of eight pounds of lawfull english money and soe according to that rate untill the said Ffrancis shall receave his said legacie of one hundred pounds towards his education and maintenance and in the meanetyme and for the putting him forth to bee an apprentice.  Item I give and bequeath unto Thomas Goodrich my sonne one hundred pounds of lawfull English money to bee payd unto him by my executors at his age of fower and twenty yeares if he shall soe longe live And I will and my mind is that my said Executor and his Executors and Assignes shall yearly and every yeare after my decease paye unto the said Thomas my Sonne for the use and profitt of his said hundred ounds the yerely some of eight pounds of lawfull English money and soe according to that rate untill the said Thomas shall receave his said legacie of one hundred pounds for and towards his education and maintenance in the meane tyme and for the putting him foorth to bee an apprentice.  Item I give and bequeath unto my daughter Martha Goodrich one hundred pounds of lawfull english money to bee payd unto her by my said Executor within sixe months next after my decease if she shall bee then liveing  Itehm I give and bequeath unto my daughter Susan Goodrich one hundred pounds of lawfull English money to bee payd unto her within one yeare next after my decease if the said Susan shalbe then liveing  All the residue of my goods and Chatles whatsoever and wheresoever not otherwise herein given and bequeathed and all debts and somes of moeny due or owing unto mee by any bonds bills bookes specialtie or otherwise howsoever my debts and legaices paid performed I give and bequeath the same wholy to my said Sonne John Goodrich to his owne proper use and behoofe and I doe make my loveing friend  Gyles Alington of Bury aforesaid Esqr and my loveing brother Robert Goodrich [?] of this my last will and testment desireing them to bee aiding unto my said Executor in their best counsell and advise  In witness whereof I the said John Goodrich the ffather have hereunto sett my hand and Seale the daye and yeare first above written 1625[/1626]  Jo:  Goodrich  Subscribed sealed published and declared by the said Mr. John Goodrich the ffather for his last will & Testament in the prce of us:  Mallowes Alexander Gent  Thomas Barker

The Bury St. Edmunds Parish Register show the following children christened to a John Goodrich:
Martha Goodrich chr. 26 Feb 1598
Benjamin Goodrich chr. 20 Jan 1600
Ann Goodrich chr. 17 Jan 1602
Susan Goodrich chr. 9 Feb 1603
Mary Goodrich chr. 24 May 1605
Francis Goodrich chr. 6 May 1610
Thomas Goodrich chr. 14 Apr  1615
John Goodrich chr. 22 Mar 1618

I assume that John Goodrich was privileged here as the youngest son, to receive the majority of his father's goods, which I think is the old East Anglian custom.  He would be executor when he reached the age of majority, but until then his uncle Robert and his father's friend, Mr. Allington would look out for the estate.  The tenement purchased from John and Margaret Bull is interesting.  Margaret was the remarried widow of Thomas Goodrich, Gentleman, of Clifford's Inn, London, who died about 1597 and owned the manor of Hardwick in Suffolk.  So there must have been a close connection between Thomas Goodrich and John Goodrich.  We also know that John Goodrich had a brother named Robert Goodrich.  The fact that he named a son Francis and had a brother named Robert is also interesting from the point of view that he may have been a grandson of Francis Pynner, Gent., of Bury, whose very lengthy and widely publicized will of 1639 mentions a grandson Robert Goodrich and a great grandson Francis Goodrich.

Well, there is something to be said in favor of either of these two possibilities.  In both cases, the ages match almost exactly.  The DNA testing would point toward a family of this particular locale.  The fact that Thomas of John was not his father's principal heir and might have been driven to find opportunities in America is a salient point.  Another key point is that in each case, children in the family share names with one or two of the children of Lt. Col. Thomas Goodrich--in one case, Benjamin and Ann, and in the other case, Joseph.  Finally, in the case of John Goodrich's Thomas, we can see the possibility of status transferring from a father to son.  Lt. Col. Goodrich was a prominent figure almost from his arrival in America and it is possible that due to his family's professional connections and position in local government he absorbed some of that status for himself.

It is also interesting in both cases that there are John Goodriches in the family whose ages match that of the John who settled in Isle of Wight Co., VA, although I doubt very much that feltmaker John's son would have abandoned his opportunities in Bury St. Edmunds to travel to the New World, especially at such a young age.