Author Topic: Seeking Conn.-Marshall Co., Va./W.Va. Goodrich connection  (Read 4761 times)

DMackey

• View Profile
Seeking Conn.-Marshall Co., Va./W.Va. Goodrich connection
« on: August 11, 2008, 22:38:32 PM »
The 1850 U.S. census for Marshall Co., Va. (now W.Va.) shows a James Goodrich, 67, born in Connecticut. Wallace Case's book lists a James Goodrich who lived for a time in W.Va., but that one was born in 1779 -- seemingly not the same guy. Also in the 1850 Marshall Co. census are households with Nathan Goodrich, 29; Nelson Goodrich, 30; and Minerva Goodrich Purdy, 27 -- all born in Ohio and possibly the children of the James listed in the census. Minerva was my G-g-grandmother.

Does anyone have any clues that might help me determine the parentage and children of James Goodrich? His wife's name, according to the census, was Elizabeth, aged 55 in 1850, who died in 1853. Children living with him in 1850 were Elizabeth A., 17; and James Jr., 19.

deloresgfa55

• GFA Trustee
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Conn.-Marshall Co., Va./W.Va. Goodrich connection
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 15:59:14 PM »
Hello DMackey,

It is always good to hear from another researcher. I have not located in our indexed Goodrich Family Association files any information to assist you iin connecting James to your family. However, the information you sent is incomplete; could you please send to me offline what you have for the listing of your ancestry, including vital records dates, and I will take another look.

I do note you may be able to add to your research information by going to http://www.usgenweb.org.  Click on West Virginia, then on the Moundsville, Marshall County link. You will find, for instance, Elisabeth, wife of James, is buried in Roberts Ridge (Greenview) Cemetery; you can also track Minerva Purdy, her husband Robert C. Purdy, and her family in the 1850 - on censuses there.

The only mention I saw of James was on a tax record that indicated he had 2 horses, mules, and a metallic clock. Nathan and Nelson Goodrich were also on the tax record. How did you come to connect James to your family?  Please send me additional information off-forum at gfagenealogy@yahoo.com.

Regards,
Delores
Goodrich Family Association Genealogist and Historian
gfagenealogy@yahoo.com

DMackey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 11:26:41 AM »
Delores,
Thanks for offering to help. Since I e-mailed you two documents on the Goodrich family a few days ago, I found another helpful bit of information: In 1867, when Nathan D. Goodrich, 45, a widower, married (in Marshall Co., W.Va.) Mary Jane Smith Burns, 28, a widow born in Ohio, his parents are listed as John and Catherine Goodrich.
David

deloresgfa55

• GFA Trustee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 19:36:30 PM »
David,

Please send the url where you found this record for Nathan.  There may be some further clues in the record.  I have not located in our records a match for this John Goodrich, but there are more records we don't have indexed yet.

Regards,
Delores