Author Topic: Sophia Euretta Goodrich married to Alexander Macdonald  (Read 7808 times)

macnag

• View Profile
Sophia Euretta Goodrich married to Alexander Macdonald
« on: September 26, 2008, 07:12:01 AM »
Does anyone have information about this family which was based in Ontario Canada?  Both names appear in The Goodrich Family in America book.  These are  my great great grandparents. 

deloresgfa55

• GFA Trustee
    • View Profile
Re: Sophia Euretta Goodrich married to Alexander Macdonald
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 12:32:49 PM »
Hello,
I have good news - the Goodrich Family Association does have further information about your #2385 Sophia Goodrich, daughter of Erastus Goodrich, married Alexander McDonald of Scotland. Our information came from one of the Canadian family members, who sent us a listing of Sophia and Alexander's children, and some of the grandchildren and great-grandchildren. 

If you would please contact me off-forum at gfagenealogy@yahoo.com with your family listing, I would be happy to share the information you don't already have.

Regards,
Delores
Goodrich Family Association Genealogist
gfagenealogy@yahoo.com

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 12:19:14 PM »
Sophia Euretta Goodrich married Alexander McDonald in Belleville where they had at least seven children before moving to Grey County,Ontario where they died aged 76 and 81 respectively.
I am following the family of son Charles McDonald but am interested in the extended family.
I would appreciate contact from anyone with interest in this family.

Don

deloresgfa55

• GFA Trustee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 14:35:19 PM »
Hello,
Thank you for contacting us with your request for Sophia Euretta Goodrich and family information. 

We do have further information on the family, including that Anne MacDonald married William Shaw in 1853 in Belleville, Ontario; they had seven children, the youngest of which is the Charles you refer to.

Our extensive information, from other family members, is too much to post on this forum. 

You may contact me directly with your questions and information at:
gfadelores @ verizon.net  (no spaces. Sorry, the previous yahoo address is no longer good and I am not receiving messages addressed to me there.)

Regards,
Delores

macnag

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 10:33:27 AM »
Just recently we found a letter dated April 4th 1943 with the following information. I wonder if anyone can follow on with new details?  This is with regard to Sophia Euretta Goodrich. 

"Our grandmother Shaw's mother was a Miss Goodrich, her parents died when she was a child and she was brought up by her grandfather Captain Fraser, who was stationed at Fort William Henry NY (I think he must have been a British Officer).  His son Simon Fraser was the explorer."

The letter is signed  Edna Roberts.  I believe she was a Macdonald. 

Both of the Simon Frasers are easy to research, but can anyone confirm that Captain Simon Fraser was Sophia Goodrich's maternal grandmother. I had her mother's name spelled Frazier. 

deloresgfa55

• GFA Trustee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 13:21:06 PM »
Hello, this is a difficult family to trace, because they have been scattered in different countries including Canada and France.
We do have a handwritten letter in our files from the only child of Edna (she married Alexander Read), telling us
how her mother Edna married married Frank Ernest Roberts, and listing their lineage as she knew it.  However,
there is no mention of a Captain Fraser anywhere in our GFA folder of the family. 

Sophia and Alexander had five children. Their daughter Anne, 1837 - 1881(2?) married William Shaw. There is no mention in the letter
of a Capt. Fraser or in any of my correspondence from the relatives living overseas in England and another country.  Our GFA letters from the
relatives all spell it FRAZIER , but I notice two boys in the listings are Alexander FRASER McDonald and Donald FRAZER McDonald; spellings were
iffy in the past, so records are the best way to go to verify things. I have not seen any records verifying a connection between Capt. Fraser
but I would keep an open mind and continue the search.  gfadelores@verizon dot net Delores.

macnag

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 14:16:57 PM »
Thank you for this. Yes, the letter quoted is from the Edna Roberts you refer to.  I have a photocopy of a note saying there was a family relationship to Simon Fraser that was probably written down around 1950, but this is the first time I've seen what the suggested relationship might have been.  Not quite sure where to look next. 

deloresgfa55

• GFA Trustee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 18:49:43 PM »
I would search for both her and the Captain in the Canadian records next as the family appeared to move to Canada.
Regards, Delores

macnag

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 05:25:19 AM »
Thanks. Will do.  It has been pointed out to me that Alexander's mother was a Fraser with an "s".  So I'm checking on that as well.  So many spellings, Macdonald included, so many family interconnections!