Author Topic: The Southern Branch, revisited  (Read 1138 times)

• View Profile
The Southern Branch, revisited
« on: April 09, 2015, 11:53:34 AM »
A few years ago I posted a question about what I called the "southern branch" of the Goodrich family, the one that immigrated into Virginia in the 1600's.  I've found a good deal of information since then and thought I would share some of that, hopefully to get others' comments.  From what I've found, it looks like there were two separate lines that came into Virginia during this period.  One was a John Goodrich, who may have been the son of John Goodrich, son of Richard Goodricke of Ribston Manor in Yorkshire, England.  One source that states this is George Mackenzie's Colonial Families of the United States (vol 5, 461), originally published in 1912.  He may have been the John Gutteridge who came to Virginia in the ship "George" from Gravesend, Aug. 21, 1635, aged 19; he may have been the John Goodrich (d. 1698) who settled in the Isle of Wight.  On the other hand, there are other problems with Mackenzie's account: he thinks John the immigrant was actually the son -- not the grandson -- of Richard Goodricke, which would have been difficult since it appears the latter died about 15 or 16 years before John was born.   Mackenzie also thinks that another son of Richard Goodricke was Thomas Goodrich, who commanded troops during Bacon's Rebellion.  But that possibility seems to have disappeared in 2009 when DNA linked Thomas Goodrich to the Wethersfield line from Bury St. Edmunds, as LWCATES wrote in a post on the DNA thread here; his line is the other branch of Goodriches.   So, if anyone has more information about the John Gutteridge/Goodrich of the Isle of Wight, I would much appreciated pointers to it.

Some of the replies to my earlier post related to ancestors who had settled in Ohio and Kentucky; my own branch ended up in Tennessee.  If this is helpful, in the couple of decades following the War of Revolution, there were great efforts to open up the lands in what was then the western wilderness of Virginia.  Many families, including some Goodriches, took the Wilderness Road (partly blazed by Daniel Boone), through the Cumberland Gap, and dispersed north and south from there.  For a very nice account of one such Goodrich family who ended up in Indiana, with well-researched descriptions of life on the frontier, see A Great-Grandmother and Her People, the story of Rebecca Pearce Goodrich, an electronic copy of which is available at